Searching for the last resting place of your ancestor? Then you may well be interested in this DataBase compiled by members of the Waimakariri Branch of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists.
It is fully searchable containing over 17,200 entries including headstone transcriptions for 25 cemeteries in the Waimakariri District of North Canterbury New Zealand & cross-checked against records held by the district council, local churches and one undertaker.
Details of each cemetery is also included.
Waimakariri District North Canterbury New Zealand Burial Records Version 1-2007 is available for download now for the price of NZ$20.00. The database is also available on a pen drive - contact Trevor.Walmsley@xtra.co.nz
Instructions for Downloading Waimakariri Cemetery DataBase
1. L-Click on the PayPal Buy Me button.
2. Complete the purchase with your credit card details within PayPal.
3. When purchase is complete the download will commence and you will see the following message :-
Google Drive can't scan this file for viruses.
Waimakariri Cemetery DataBase.zip (105M) is too large for Google to scan for viruses.
Would you still like to download this file?
Answer "Download anyway".
4. Create a directory on your PC "Waimakariri Cemetery DataBase".
5. L-Click on your download "Waimakariri Cemetery DataBase.zip" and copy the files to the directory on your PC called "Waimakariri Cemetery DataBase".
6. L-Click on setup.exe in the "Graves Records - Master for Making Copies" directory to install the DataBase, follow the wizards instructions on the screen and this will create a shortcut on your desktop called "Graves Record".
Any issues on downloading and installing the DataBase please email Trevor.Walmsley@xtra.co.nz.
About the Database
Where possible, information has been cross-referenced and checked against records held by the Waimakariri
District Council Service Centres, local churches and museums, a local undertaker (Gulliver and Tyler Ltd) and the
NZSG microfiche collectian of transcriptions made in the 1970s and 1980s, Where no headstone was located
details obtained from these other sources have been included in the database.
lnformation regarding a cremation where no reference to a burial location of the ashes is made is indicated as:
"X cremated". Records of burials in cemeteries outside the Waimakariri District are indicated as: "X Cemetery"
To search the database:
To search the database:
1. Click on the "Grave Records" icon on your desktop. This will display the entire database.
2. ln the Name field in the Filter Box, enter the surname for which you are searching and click the search button.
This will display a list of all entries for the selected surname.
3. You may narro\M your search by entering a date range andlor a cemetery selected from the drop-down menu.
4. To view details you can either double-click on one of the entries listed or click on "Actions" in the ioolbar and
select "View Record". This will display full details for the person selected.
5. You may navigate through the list using the forward and back arrows-
6. At the right of the "Cemetery" Field in this display there is the symbol - L-Clicking on this button opens a Word
document giving some information about the cemetery, its location and a simple plot plan. (This will not apply to
cemeteries and cremations indicated with an X.
To return to the complete listing click the "back to list" arrow.
ln some instances information withheld for privacy reasons may be made available on request to: The Secretary, Waimakariri Branch of NZSG.